A range of factors influence hearing ability, including noise exposure in an environment, earwax in the ear canal, ear infections and the normal ageing process. You might consider testing your hearing only as you become older, however, hearing may also be influenced by conditions such as hypertension, cholesterol, diabetes, arthritis, hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. For this reason, you may consider testing your hearing earlier in life as part of your general health assessment.
Not sure whether to test your hearing? Start with this checklist:
- Do people seem to mumble or speak softer than before?
- Do you struggle to follow conversations in a crowded or noisy environment?
- Has someone close to you suggested that you have your hearing tested?
- Do you turn the TV volume louder than before?
- Do you often ask people to repeat themselves?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, it is time to book a professional hearing test. The good news is that the earlier you know your hearing status, the sooner you can take corrective steps if necessary to improve your hearing!
Looking forward to seeing you for a hearing evaluation at your next general health check up!
Want your hearing tested? Need a solution for hearing loss?