Winter is here and takes its toll on a lot of things, but it doesn’t have to affect your hearing aids. As long as you keep a few things in mind to do and not do when wearing hearing aids in winter. Below are five do’s and don’ts to keep in mind in caring for your hearing aids this cold season.
Five do’s for hearing aids in winter
- Be careful when you remove your beanie and scarves so that your hearing aids do not pull off and you end up losing them.
- Keep spare batteries on hand (or a charger with you for rechargeable devices) as winter cold can drain batteries faster than normal.
- Consider removing your hearing aids when participating in winter activities such as running or walking to avoid losing your hearing aids or exposing them to excess moisture.
- When coming in from the cold, let your hearing aids rest for a while by removing them, and opening the battery door to let moisture or condensation escape. If you wear rechargeable hearing aids, you can simply wipe them with a dry cloth after removal.
- Use a hearing aid dehumidifier to help extend the life of your hearing aids. You can enquire about this at our practice.
Five don’ts for hearing aids in winter
- Don’t worry that cold weather will necessarily harm your hearing aids — they are meant to endure a lot!
- Batteries or chargers should not be stored in your car.
- Don’t store your rechargeable hearing aids in a heated drying system.
- Keeping up with your daily cleaning routine of your hearing aids should not be forgotten.
- Don’t hesitate to call us at Strauss Audiology if you notice distortion, sound cutting in and out, or static from your hearing aids. It is important to book an appointment with us as soon as possible.
Winter is a time to make extra sure your ears stay warm and protected. Not only to keep your hearing aids safe, but for general hearing health and care too.
About Strauss Audiology
Strauss Audiology is a professional audiology business in the northern suburbs of Cape Town, offering expert, effective hearing advice that is tailored to clients’ unique hearing needs. We conduct hearing evaluations, hearing tests and vertigo assessments, and provide a range of solutions to improve and protect clients’ hearing. This includes providing hearing aids to Cape Town clients. With 13 years of experience, and with the qualifications and certifications to deliver leading hearing care, you can trust us to take care of your hearing needs.
Want your hearing tested? Need a solution for hearing loss?